Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Pakistan, Jinnah (contd-6)



Jinnah was termed as Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, which he did not object but when in 1925 he was offered a knighthood  by Lord Reading, Jinnah replied : "I prefer to be Plain Mr.Jinnah." Even today very few is known about Jinnah's personal life although a great deal has been written about his vision, politics, and his role as a founder of nation. When he was a law student in London, he regularly did theatre and seriously considered acting as a profession."It is not a well publicized fact that as a young student in England it had been one of Jinnah's dream to play Romeo at the Globe. it is a strange twist of fate that a love story that started like a fairy tale ended as a haunting tragedy to rival any of Shakespeare's dramas."  The last letter written by Ruttenbai "Ruttie" Petit to her husband "J", as she used to call him is most interesting.
 S.S.Rajputana,
Marseilles 5 Oct 1928
  
Darling thank you for all you have done. If ever in my bearing your once tuned senses found any irritability or unkindness, be assured that in my heart there was place only for a great tenderness and a greater pain-a pain my love without hurt.When one has been as near to the reality of life (which after all is Death) as i have been dearest, one only remembers the beautiful and tender moments and all the rest becomes a half veiled mist of unrealities. Try and remember me beloved as the flower you plucked and not the flower you tread upon.I have suffered much sweetheart because I have loved much. The measure of my agony has been in accord to the measure of my love.
Darling i love you, i love you - and had I loved you just a little less I might have remained with you only after one has created a very beautiful blossom one does not drag it through the mire.The higher you set your idealthe lower it falls.
I have loved you my darling as it is given to few men to be loved. I only beseech you that the tragedy which commenced in love should also end with it.
Darling Goodnight and goodbye.
Ruttie
I had written to you at pariswith the intention of posting the letter here but I felt that I would rather write to you afresh from the fullest of my heart. R
This was the last letter written by Ruttie to Mr. :J."
 But Jinnah wrote little, and what he wrote was formaland a matter of fact.He wrote no autobiography or Diary, probably because he never had time to do so. He was reserved, taciturn, and secretive.