Paraguay (US //, UK //), officially the Republic of Paraguay , is a landlocked country located in South America, bordered by Argentina to the south and southwest, Brazil to the east and northeast, and Bolivia to the northwest. Paraguay lies on both banks of the Paraguay River, which runs through the center of the country from north to south. Due to its central location in South America, it is sometimes referred to as Corazón de América ("Heart of America").
he name of the river, Paraguay, is thought to come from Guaraní para, "of many varieties", and gua, "riverine".
There is no conclusive explanation for the origin of the name Paraguay, however. The most common interpretations that have been suggested include:
- "River which originates a sea"
- The Spanish officer and scientist Félix de Azara suggests two versions: water from the Payaguas (Payaguá-and Payagua-i), referring to natural Payaguas living on the coasts of the river, and the other was due to the name of a great chief called "Paraguaio."
- The French-Argentine historian and writer Paul Groussac argued that it meant "river that flows through the sea (Pantanal)."
- The ex-president and Paraguayan politician, Juan Natalicio González said it meant "river of the habitants of the sea."
- fray Antonio Ruiz de Montoya said that it meant "river crowned.