Côte d'Ivoire - History and Politics
Constitution & political system
- Constitution - adopted 3 November 1960; revised numerous times, last
time July 1998. It was suspended following a bloodless coup on 24 December 1999.
A new constitution was approved by a referendum held on 23 July 2000.
- Legislative branch - Unicameral National Assembly (225 seats)
- Legal system - based o French civil law system and customary
- Elections - Presidential, last held October 2000; Legislative, last held December 2000.
Political groupings and alliances
- Rassemblement des républicains (RDR)
- Front populaire Ivoirien (FPI)
- Parti démocratique de Côte d'Ivoire (PDCI)